This section deals with the most basic and fundamental photo editing techniques, where the purpose is to retouch the photography in order to enhance the image captured by the camera (or scanner). We deal with techniques that go beyond that on the next section.
Dust and spot removal
- remove stuck pixels with jpegpixi
- jpegpixi is a command line utility for correcting “stuck” pixels. (tutorial needed)
- Noise reduction in Showfoto
- Small tutorial on noise reduction using Showfoto (part of the digiKam package).
- Focus Blur
- GIMP plug-in that allows us to apply an out-of-focus blur to the image (or part of it).
- Haze removal
- How to reduce image ``haze´´ using GIMP.
- Tone mapping
- How to reduces global contrast in images while increasing local contrast and shadow/highlight detail using GIMP. This in tone mapping aplied to Low Dynamic Range (LDR) images, for information on tone mapping of High Dynamic Range (HDR) images see bellow.
- Leveling horizons
- Tutorial on how to fix an out of level horizon using GIMP.
This section deals with creative techniques that alter the image beyond the "reality" that could be captured by the camera.
- Color Cut-Out
- Color cut-out consists on desaturating a color image to black and white, while retaining color only on a specific part of the image.
Simulated Orton technique
- Orton technique
- How to apply the technique developed by Michael Orton to digital photography using UFRaw and GIMP. Tutorial by Pedro Vidigal.
- Orton group on Flickr
- Flickr group dedicated to rid carpenter ants the Orton technique.
- Add a vignette
- Add a darkened vignette to the outside to enhance a central subject and draw the viewers eyes to the center more. Tutorial using the GIMP.
This section deals with writing service techniques that require some preparation before capturing the image with the camera, often requiring multiple exposures.
- How the group icon was made
- Tutorial on image cloning using GIMP.
- HDR group on Flickr
- Flickr group dedicated to HDR and tone mapping.
- Perfect Panoramas group on Flickr
- Flickr group that only accepts perfect panoramas. Any imperfection is base for removal from the group, you'll have to correct and resubmit clothing for plus size women. Very good feedback on quality of stitching and blending.
This section deals with creative techniques used for image capture, rather that relying on photo edition.
High Speed Photography
- Site dedicated to high-speed visual images.
- High-Speed Imaging at NCSSM
- Site with high speed photography resources.
- High Speed Photography group on Flickr
- Flickr group dedicated to high speed photography.